Harkins Swinburnson & Wagar, PLLC
Local Number: 509-591-0225
Toll Free Number:866-255-8146
Se Habla Español

What is uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance?

Because Washington is an at-fault state, if you get into an auto accident, whoever is at fault will be liable to pay for the damages. This is good news if you get into an accident with a law-abiding driver who has proper insurance coverage. However, it is not so encouraging if the at-fault party does not have insurance. This is where uninsured/underinsured insurance comes in. This type of insurance, according to Esurance, covers your vehicle, passengers and you when you get into an accident with someone who has no insurance or who does not have enough insurance to cover the damages.

Because it is estimated one in eight drivers do not have insurance, getting uninsured/underinsured insurance is a good idea. If you happen to get into an accident where the other driver is at fault, your main chance at getting paid what is owed to you is through insurance. If that person's insurance cannot cover the costs or the person has no insurance, you are very unlikely to be able to get the money owed to you, even if you take the person to court. With an uninsured/underinsured policy, your insurance company will make sure your costs are paid.

You can usually get two types of coverage. One covers property damage, which would be damage to your vehicle. The other covers bodily damage, which includes any injuries you or your passengers sustain. This coverage is optional in the state, but it can protect you from financial trouble should you get into an accident with an uncovered or under covered driver. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information